May 13, 2014

Eli William Bowling's First Weeks

Our way out of the NICU, your first car ride.
This is proof you were tiny at one point.
Tummy time, it was not your favorite.
The shoes did fit, if you were wondering ;).
Moms DIY Shirt
First Bath, he is already a stud!
My Cuddle Bug, the moment where I feel so content.
My Little Babe.
That sums it up... just add poo to that.
My first few weeks were a little hectic. You think you got it all prepared, everything is clean, nursery set, laundry done, diapers stacked, meals set.... Below are a few lessons I had to learn that I want to pass on to other moms.
  •  Get sleep before you go in to delivery if you can, because it is true you will no longer have the option to nap whenever. 
  • Don't wash all of your babies clothes. Eli didn't fit into most of his newborn clothes and I washed everything. 
  • Allow people to help or ask for help! I did everything myself. The very next day after being home I was in the emergency here for more. 
  • Start off with a routine feeding, changing etc. Babies love to have a pattern, the thrive on it and it will save you time in the end to rest. After every feeding I changed him, it takes a lot of energy to eat so make sure you change him after he is full. He will also be more relaxed. 
  • Cut out all of the "small stuff". I found out the hard way. I was pumping, breastfeeding, bottle feeding and at the end I had to start all over again leaving me with no sleep here is more of what I went through. 
  • Buy loads of bottles if you are using them. We only had a few I did a lot of washing and having to sanitize, sterilize, and merging milk, time is so valuable and it goes by so fast. Now I just wash them at the end of the day or as needed. "Cut the small stuff", it adds up!
  • Know there are resources out there to help. A nurse was able to come over and assist me with anything I needed, support groups, lactationist, etc. 
  • This is time for you and your baby! If things don't get done around the house etc. its not going any where!! Don't be a super mom!

There was a lot of pressures on building a routine, breastfeeding, staying awake, having everyone sanitize and everything else unexpected it was overwhelming. I found that if its not fitting into you bonding with baby get rid of it. Mothers instinct is nothing you can teach!!!!

Eli- you on the other hand were wonderful. From the first day in the NECU you were so calm, they told us just wait, well I'm still waiting... I knew from the beginning you were like mom, laid back and peaceful.
With those long nights, tears & no sleep I just have to gaze down at you and I feel so content and at peace.

This is just my personal experience up until now. I looked forward to reading on other mom advice. I hope this helps with other mom-to-be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ADDED PIN IT GRAPHIC ADDED PIN IT GRAPHIC