Jan 10, 2014

DIY Feather Clay Mobile

This is the very first DIY project I wanted to do for our little Baby Fig. It symbolizes the boho feel of the nursery- creative, soft, worming, imaginative, natural environment. This will be one of many DIY project I plan on creating for our little man. 
Material:
  • Sculpey oven-bake clay (white)
  • Gold leaf pen
  • Embroidery loom (inside)
  • Natural color thread
  • Optional gold spray paint to paint the Embroidery loom
  • Optional sculpting tools (I have some but with moving they are packed, home tools work)
Steps:
  • To soften or condition the clay I put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds NO LONGER!(although it is advised not to do due to cooking it.)
  • First, roll out your clay about 1/4" thick. (I used the side of a cup) on parchment paper for less of a mess.
  • Start cutting out feather shapes, I free handed it in various sizes, no two feathers are the exact same!
  • TIP: Using the side of the spoon to smooth out the edges of the leaf and cut out niches along the edges to better resemble a feather. 
  • Remember to poke a hole at the top of your feathers using a toothpick.
  • Bake! 275 F for 30 minutes. Lay on parchment paper or foil and then on a baking sheet. 
  • Allow clay to cool.
  • Add chevron stripes, be creative with the pattern with the gold leaf pen. The gold just adds that special touch!!
I really enjoyed this project and it turned out exactly how I imagined it for our little boys mobile. This DIY project took me back to when I worked with clay making bowls and sculpting. Sculpey Clay is practical, its so durable and most of all it doesn't shrink while it cooks and its firm enough to hold its detail. I see myself using it in the future for future DIY projects… look ahead for more to come!

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did and got our creative juices flowing!!
ENJOY & CREATE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADDED PIN IT GRAPHIC ADDED PIN IT GRAPHIC